mpontiff

mpontiff

The Shark Mutiny
Patrick Robinson
Tech Commando: C.A.D.S. (Book 3)
John Sievert
Big Book Of New Short Horror
Nick Medina, Michael McClung, Jessy Marie Roberts (Editor)
Last of the Albatwitches - Brian Keene

Please note, this review is for the book titles Last of the Albatwitches which was published in ebook for in September 2014. It contains two novellas, The Witching Tree and Last of the Albatwitches, which were previously published separately.

The Witching Tree

This was my introduction to Levi Stoltzfus and it was great! If you're not familiar with him, he's an ex-Amish (still dresses like it and drives a horse-drawn buggy) occult detective that fits in with society by selling crafts made in his woodworking shop. Aided by his trusty canine companion, Crowley, he aids others with healing abilities and deals with supernatural entities that threaten to harm people.
   In The Witching Tree, Levi's help is requested to deal with a tree that is intent on harming anyone who comes near it. If that sounds boring, I promise you that it really isn't (read Evans Light's novella Arboreatum and you'll see how dangerous trees can be)!  I really liked the entire novella and hope that Keene will pick up where this one left off in a future book.

Last of the Albatwitches

Having read and liked Keene's book Castaways before, I was delighted to find that a "character" from that book is now mixing it up with Levi.  Magus vs creature. Good vs evil. It doesn't get any better than that!  While I did really like this story, the ending felt rushed and left me with the big question of why.  I can't elaborate without giving away some plot so you'll have to read it and see how you feel about it.

Overall, both stories are definitely worth a read. If you're an old fan of Levi, you won't be disappointed!  If you're new to him or have disliked some of Keene's other works in the past, I urge you to give this one a try; both stories flow smoothly, captivate your attention and have a great protagonist. Highly recommended!