mpontiff

mpontiff

The Shark Mutiny
Patrick Robinson
Tech Commando: C.A.D.S. (Book 3)
John Sievert
Big Book Of New Short Horror
Nick Medina, Michael McClung, Jessy Marie Roberts (Editor)
Sunblind - Michael McBride

I'm a member of DarkFuse's NetGalley Readers Group and I received this ebook in exchange for my honest review.

This one will be released September 2 but if you preorder now, you'll save two bucks.

Mayra Visari wants a better life than the hell she's living in in Mexico.  She's so determined to make it to the United States, she joins up with a shady coyote that promises safe passage. Dumped out in the Sonoran Desert, the group of people are forced to endure a deadly trek to reach their goal. As if the blistering heat and lack of water isn't bad enough, something is picking them off at night. Something silent, unseen and extremely efficient at harvesting people for their needs.

I LOVE reading McBride's books!  As always, he writes in such a way that makes me feel like I'm a part of the story and experiencing everything that the characters are going through.  This was a very heart wrenching tale for me. I had never given immigration much thought before but after reading this, I know it'll be something I think about for a long time coming since McBride outlines the hazards and hardships so well.  But the tale isn't all about people immigrating from Mexico. Not at all. The immigrant's trek through the desert allows McBride to conjure up some unique monsters that are sure to be stuck in my mind for a long time. I won't spoil it for you but what the monsters do with the people is absolutely horrifying. You really need to read it to find out. Highest possible recommendation!