mpontiff

mpontiff

The Shark Mutiny
Patrick Robinson
Tech Commando: C.A.D.S. (Book 3)
John Sievert
Big Book Of New Short Horror
Nick Medina, Michael McClung, Jessy Marie Roberts (Editor)
Rockinghorse - William W. Johnstone

Wow, this novel had a lot going on! A "haunted" house (I use the term haunted lightly here as the house was so much more), animated body parts, good vs evil, forest creatures, dead beings that are alive (no, not more of that tired zombie genre; totally different) and of course, a rocking horse which really creeped me out and I'd bet it'll creep you out too.
I haven't read much horror from the 80s but if it's anything like this, I certainly will read more! The story starts out innocently enough but the creepy vibe kicks off quickly and escalates into goosebumps and chills down the spine. A few times, I even had to set down my kindle, take a breath and process what I just read. Of course, I HAD to see what happened next so the breaks didn't last long (who needs sleep when you're reading a quality story anyway?!).

Johnstone has a unique premise here and a wonderful main cast of characters that make you feel like you're right there with them, listening to that creepy horse do its thing, seeing the inexplicable terrors and feeling the adrenaline rush.

If you've never read anything by Johnstone, this is a good place to start!

Many thanks to Kensington and NetGalley for this excellent, and recommended, book!